Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Pleasant Surprise!...

We were out running errands in Vancouver this evening, heading back from Jo Ann's Fabrics to the freeway when I spotted a storefront that said "Premier Euro Market". Intrigued, I hung a quick right turn into their parking lot and went in to check it out. A Russian and Eastern European market! I wandered around for awhile, checking out their stock. There was a section of Russian-language books and DVD's, a variety of lacquerware, beautiful dishes and other kitchenware, Russian herbal medicines, and tons of food! They had a lot of stuff that I wasn't familiar with and some I was (I'm actually more comfortable with Asian and Middle Eastern markets...lol!). I picked up some dried dill and some khmeli-suneli, a Georgian spice mix, tiny little corkscrewed Hungarian egg noodles, and a small box of banana cream-filled chocolate candies from Austria. They had a fascinating deli counter, and I decided I to grab a couple of things to try for a simple dinner tonight. I picked out a pound of Bobak's Krakow sausage (http://www.bobak.com/), thinly sliced, and some sliced white cheese. They told me it was "Russian cheese". Tasty stuff. I picked up a loaf of dark rye bread (sans seeds...Gina does not like caraway seeds in her bread) and some bottled sauerkraut with cranberries. When we got home, it made for a yummy grilled sandwich with some sweet-hot Russian mustard. I am eager to go back with a better shopping list. I know I want some sea buckthorn syrup, a jar of marinated mushrooms, and wild rose syrup. There were all sorts of fascinating things. I wasn't expecting to go shopping tonight.

While they don't yet have a website, they appear to have two locations:

(1) 11216 NE 4th Plain Road, Vancouver, WA (360) 885-9384

(2) 813 W Main Street, Battle Ground, WA (360) 666-6919

If you live in the area, check 'em out! Get yourself a big bag of frozen pirozhki and a jar of lecso.

1 comment:

  1. That sausage was YUM-mee!! And the cheese...MMMMmmmm. The bread was good, too, but not as good as the meat and cheese...*grinning*

    ReplyDelete