Sunday, January 25, 2009

In the Kitchen Today...

Gina's having a really bad day with her fibromyalgia, but we had a pile of lemons we bought for the lemonade she makes that needed to be used, so I made it this afternoon. Its her interpretation of a Amish spiced lemonade concentrate. We bought a dozen lemons, which makes a double batch of concentrate...about a gallon or so, which reconstitutes to about five gallons of lemonade. Yummm! I love her lemonade!

I barbecued chicken Friday, since the weather permitted, and made my version of an Indonesian dish, ayam panggang kecap...chicken grilled with sweet soy sauce...one of Gina's favorites. I always try to make extra, as its customary for me to use some of the leftovers in a batch of nasi goreng, Indonesian fried rice. Which was what we had for dinner tonight. I make it as a one dish meal, chock full of barbecued chicken, onions, peppers, daikon, zucchini, celery, carrots, and tomatoes. Its flavored with garlic, ginger, turmeric, coconut milk, tamarind, chilies, and sweet soy sauce, and topped with fried garlic flakes and a drizzle of sweet soy. I make a ton, so there are more leftovers.

And since we finally had the cable TV hooked up this weekend, we've been watching the Food Network again. They're finally showing the season two episodes of the Ultimate Recipe Showdown, which means they are taking entries for season three. Thankfully, I have until the end of next month to get some entries in. I made it to the semifinals for season two, my first time entering a cooking contest. I really want to make it to the finals this time.

1 comment: