Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Latin Night...

I fought a nasty headache today while fixing dinner today. I had picked up some country-style pork ribs at Fred Meyer - they had them on sale @$1.28 a pound - and started marinating them this morning. Red wine, red wine vinegar, EVOO, lots of garlic, herbs (thyme, oregano, marjoram, rosemary), and spices (pepper, cumin, coriander). Then I put a pot of my drunken beans on to cook - pinto beans, dark beer and tequila, stock, tomatoes, salsa, garlic, some bacon. This afternoon, when the headache had subsided, I made a batch of salsa with oven-roasted Roma tomatoes, Anaheim chilies, onion, and garlic, fresh cilantro and flat-leaf parsley, and a little red wine vinegar. Good stuff. I followed that with a batch of colache...baby potatoes, zucchini, onion, spinach, tomatoes, corn-on-the-cob, seasoned with garlic, oregano, basil, and marjoram. I'd also picked up some mesquite hardwood charcoal from Freddie's. It was great for barbecuing the ribs (the weather has been really good these last two days), which turned out really good. The beans were finished with crumbled bacon, queso seco (cotija) cheese, garlic flakes, and lime wedges, and are so savory and good. I could make a meal of 'em, with some tortillas to sop up the juices. Tired now. A bit headachey again, from the barbecuing. But full and otherwise happy.

2 comments:

  1. OY you insult the olive oil buy calling it by the Rachel Ray moniker!

    I can't read your journal first thing in the morning because it makes me want to make this elaborate breakfast of yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I am long-winded enough without always typing out "extra-virgin olive oil" every time...lol.

    ReplyDelete