Sunday, December 27, 2009

Good For What Ails You!...

The cure of mothers all over the world...chicken soup. Gina has been sick today, so I decided to make her some. I decided on Soto Ayam, the chicken soup of Indonesia. When it really comes down to it, many of the most common seasonings in SE Asian cooking are powerful phytomedicinals, and this soup is full of them.

For my version, I browned chicken thighs in vegetable oil, then added water, coconut milk, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, half of an onion, half a fresh lime, some thick slices of ginger and galangal, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and let it all simmer for a while. In the meantime, I prepared a rempah, or spice paste, from shallots, garlic, galangal, ginger and fresh turmeric, almonds, coriander, cumin, and caraway seeds, and white peppercorns. This got put through the processor and fried in oil for a few minutes, then dumped into the stock. I shredded the chicken thighs, and put them back in the broth with a bunch of fresh, very thin egg noodles. To serve it, each diner places a selection of accompaniments in their bowl then pours some broth, chicken and noodles on top. I had a selection of fresh bean sprouts, shredded napa cabbage, chopped celery and scallions, fried onions, kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), and Sriracha hot sauce, for us.

The broth was rich and savory, and everything worked very well together. Yummy! And its already breaking up Gina's congestion a bit, has her breathing more freely, and just generally feeling a bit better. I suspect we'll be having this soup again. It'd be great for entertaining, too.

3 comments:

  1. Be prepared to fix it again. I rather like it- a lot alot, actually! :oD Next time, with no meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you Orangnya Indonesia, or just a fan of the culture? I'm finding it littered all over your blog, and so few...So VERY few...understand how to do a rempah worth a tinker's damn.

    Looks like your soup was a hit. How do you handle rendang?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. I never got any notification of your comment, Bobbe...

    I am a purebred American mutt, with a taste for SE Asia. And the Middle East. And North Africa. Central Asia. Lol.

    Is my rempah worth a tinker's damn? I don't know. We liked what I made. I'll have to let you try some one day. I'd put my homemade kecap manis up against any commercial brand, with confidence. And my homemade Thai-style curry pastes aren't bad. I'll be making rendang on Thursday. We'll see how it goes.

    My problem is I cook stuff from all over the world. Night before last...fajitas and drunken beans. Monday night...Thai-style fried rice.

    ReplyDelete