Monday, November 9, 2009

Its Good Stew Weather...

I've eaten a few bowls of our Vegetable Stew latey. I originally came up with the recipe. This last batch was made by my wife, Gina. Now maybe it was just that I didn't have to cook it, but I liked hers better than my own...it seemed subtly different. The weather has been gray and rainy of late. Today, the rain has been steady, and harder than the usual PNW drizzle. A good time for a bowl of something warm and filling. I'm going to make my own interpretation of Hopkins County Chicken Stew: a big pot of chicken, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and corn, seasoned with chili powder. So that the chicken meat doesn't dry it from all that simmering, I'm going to coat it with chili powder and cook it in the rotisserie, chop it, then add it at the least moment. I'll just use some good strong chicken stock to encourage the chickeny flavor. The potatoes are from the garden. The tomatoes are crushed, and some of the corn is in the form of creamed corn. Its supposed to be a perennial hit in East Texas. We'll top it with grated sharp cheddar cheese. Gina and our son have been making a lot of homemade bread lately. Tonight I'll make skillet cornbread. We like the first recipe in Crescent Dragonwagon's The Cornbread Gospels. Iced tea is a must. I really should throw together something in the way of a dessert, too. Hmmm...maybe some peach cobbler. Yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment