Monday, June 1, 2009

A Warm Sunday...

I kinda' burned out on cooking anything elaborate for awhile. I'm starting to get back into it. After a morning working in our new community garden plot, I came back and fixed lunch.

Philly has its cheesesteak, Boston has chowder, Cincinnati its own unique chili. The Northwest, in my mind, goes for pizza, subs and teriyaki chicken (...besides the ubiquitous coffee). Teriyaki is probably the big one of that trio. I've seen an intersection in the Seattle area where there were three different teriyaki joints. I decided to try my hand at it, so I cooked up some homemade teriyaki sauce (fairly traditional - just sake, mirin, soy sauce and sugar, w/a little cornstarch to thicken it) and marinated some chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on) overnight. For lunch, I grilled it over oak charcoal and served it with some short-grain rice, homemade coleslaw and watermelon. It came out quite nice. Smoky, moist and tender, good flavor from the marinade (soy & mirin, garlic & ginger, scallions, sesame oil, some fresh ground pepper & seven-spice powder, etc), a mellow, molasses-y sweetness (not as strong as actual molasses) probably offset by the winey flavor of the sake and mirin. All-in-all, very successful.

Dinner was just some simple bacon, egg & cheese burritos, a few (leftover from Friday) spicy chips, and for the warmth, a refreshing drink called es timun, an Indonesian drink of fresh squeezed lime juice, sugar, peeled and seeded cucumbers and ice, all put through the blender. Very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment